Wheezing duck!!

CeceliaD

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
Maine
This is my third post about this, but I realized the problem is more constant than I thought: My Pekin duck that’s a month and some old has very labored breathing. I’ve read that vitamins can help with the problem and I’ve also read that it can be a result of their weight. I’ve also read that Pekins are heavyweight ducks and therefore can have breathing problems.

I have given 24/7 access to food and water up until a few days ago when I realized it might not be necessary and might even be harmful. My understanding was that I could give them as much greens as they would eat, so I also gave them a lot of greens in addition to their feed (mostly kale, peas, and sometimes some fruit, etc.). I also switched their food from a 20% protein feed to a feed that’s supposed to work for every age very recently. My paps and I just finished building a nice coop and they’ve been sleeping outside under a heat lamp for a few nights as well. Lastly, they have a kitty pool and access to water they can clean their beaks in all day.

With all that being said, does anyone know what could be causing his wheezing/labored breathing? And if you know, please tell me what to do! I love my ducks so much and I want them to be so happy and healthy. I plan on getting some poultry vitamins for them and my chicks tomorrow cuz it can’t hurt. But if there’s anything else I should know or do, please help! Thanks in advance :)

Please post a video, there is often a slight difference between panting caused by heat and labored breathing, usually, if the bird is sick he'll breathe very slowly, basically have a hard time getting air in, and if he is in critical condition most likely other symptoms will be present along with the breathing like eye discharge, coughing, fluffed up stance tail bobbing, lethargy, loss of appetite, etc.

A duck that is just panting caused by heat, or just simply due to weight, it'll appear healthy otherwise, along with no other symptoms present to indicate a fungal or respiratory problem. Panting is usually more rapid pants compared to the long drawn out labored breathing.

It should be understood that waterfowl are amazingly resilient birds, most problems only occur due to improper management of them.

Pekins do breathe heavily at times, and it's most likely caused by there excess weight. Humans do the same thing.

Please post a video, there is often a slight difference between panting caused by heat and labored breathing, usually, if the bird is sick he'll breathe very slowly, basically have a hard time getting air in, and if he is in critical condition most likely other symptoms will be present along with the breathing like eye discharge, coughing, fluffed up stance tail bobbing, lethargy, loss of appetite, etc.

A duck that is just panting caused by heat, or just simply due to weight, it'll appear healthy otherwise, along with no other symptoms present to indicate a fungal or respiratory problem. Panting is usually more rapid pants compared to the long drawn out labored breathing.

It should be understood that waterfowl are amazingly resilient birds, most problems only occur due to improper management of them.

Pekins do breathe heavily at times, and it's most likely caused by there excess weight. Humans do the same thing.
I’ll try to post a video later today. We live in Maine, so weather here is still fairly cool—generally between 45-65 during the day and in the 40s or 50s at night. They don’t sleep with a heat lamp and they sleep indoors as of now but have access to a pool and shade when outside during the day. I’ve seen him pant from heat before and it’s very different from the breathing sounds he makes. It sounds like he’s forcing air through his nostrils when he exhales with a slight wheeze. He is otherwise healthy in every way: he eats sleeps drinks peeps and walks normally, just with heavy breath. He has no discharge or any other symptoms, so then I guess it’s just his weight?

That'd be a waste of money IMO, I'm 90% sure the duck is just breathing, but it sounds louder because Pekins are so obese.
😂 I mean, I guess he could just be really fat. He just doesn’t look fat enough to breath like that. I’m not sure at this point.

Back
Top Bottom