Wheezing / mouth breathing - possible respritory issue / antibiotic advise

gothichick

Hatching
May 28, 2020
I have spent my entire day trying to figure out what I should do. I found my hen (approx. 3-4 years old) making a loud whistling / wheezing sound while mouth breathing. I cannot go to a vet and live in a very remote area. None of the feed stores have the good antibiotics anymore and all that was available to be is this Durvet penicillin injectable 100mg but it does not have "chickens" on it. I called the manufacturer and they cannot "give any off label advise" vets "can't give any advise" etc. The feed store gave me an 18g needle and this injectable. Can I use it? Should I use it? Is there any way I can give it orally? I also purchased some VetRx and administered. I separated her from my other girl and have them in separate cages inside until I figure this out. Any help will be a miracle at this point as to what I should do. The other option I have is some 500mg Amoxil from an old rx of mine (the date is 01/20/2020 and could either be when I got it or the exp date).

Does your hen sound similar to this chicken with stridor? Some respiratory diseases are caused by viruses which antibiotics do not help. Does she have any bubbles in or swelling around an eye or nasal drainage?

Last edited:
I didn't see anything like a video attached to your response (which I am thankful for) but I did look it up and it doesn't sound like what I found on youtube. The closest thing I could find was gapeworm. I gave her a wormazol tablet today and have been treating her with vetrx. I took this video a few mins ago. I still have not given her any injections - i'm terrified that would be the wrong thing to do and terrified it is wrong to not do it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xjUr0xTi4IG-BnMDP02GhDe-aH7DpwJx/view?usp=sharing

He sounds like he is silently gasping. Can you look inside his thorat with a flashlight while someone holds him? Have their been any wet or moldy conditions, new birds added ro the flock recently, or has there been any respiratory disease in the flock? Where are you located? Is ist warm and tropical there? Oh sorry, I forgot to attach the link yesterday. This was the link, but it does not sound like your chicken:

I have tried to look down her throat but I can't see much. This might be a silly question but is it possible something is stuck in there? there is a lumpish spot where our adams apple would be. I'm actually looking at anatomy now. If there IS something stuck in there, what do I do? Yes, I am in a wet humid environment down in the south. No new critters for years just my two girls.

*edit* My girls are older women. Y 'all everything I've been reading sounds like gapeworm. I listened with my stethoscope and the noise is coming from her upper throat area. No crackling in the lungs, no snot, no facial swelling, no head shaking etc. I gave her a dewormer pill this morning and will go get more for my other girl tomorrow to be safe. I'm still trying to figure out if this lump in her throat (I believe the trachea area) is that or something lodged in there. I'm going to give her a break and give some olive oil before I go down for the night. She seemed to be comforted and fell asleep as i rubbed it, VetRx and a humidifier tent.

Last edited:
Hi, I am Vietnamese, and in Vietnam, raising chickens is very easy without any legal constraints, new chickens have very weak resistance, so in the first 30 days of life, you should light heat the chicks, so the chicks don't get cold, which leads to wheezing. Also, do you find the chicken happy or cheerful at an angle

Back
Top Bottom