***Wheezing, one swollen eye, one shut eye***

CarlieO

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 14, 2013
WA
I have a chick that's almost 2 months old. It's in a brooder with several others of roughly the same age. Today I noticed that this one chick was laying in the corner. I picked it up and could hear wheezing when it breathed. Both eyes have a small amount of discharge and there is a small amount of nasal discharge. There is no discharge from it's beak. There is no foul smell. Any ideas? I've googled trying to figure it out but there's so many different possibilities.

No new chicks have been added recently. They have been living together for a few weeks now. The chicks that lived in there before them are all healthy and living outside now. None of the others are showing symptoms at this time. They have good ventilation, are on pine shavings, eat medicated chick starter, plain old water (nothing added), and are under a heat lamp in a 6 foot by 6 foot (approx) stall with a concrete floor. They have room to run (and run they do) and space to get out of the heat if necessary.

I have isolated it for now and am certain I need antibiotics but with so many options I want to make sure I get the correct one in the correct form (i.e. injectable vs. add to water, etc). The only vaccine they have (from the breeder day of hatch) is the Marek's vaccine.

Also, I'm not sure if I should treat the rest of the chicks in the brooder as well since they've been exposed to it already (whatever 'it' is).

I'm seeking help with a diagnosis and treatment.

Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited:
If you have a chick that young with a respiratory disease, that is not good. Antibiotics such as Tylan, Gallimycin, and oxytetracycline are sometimes used to treat MG/CRD and other diseases, but they don't cure them, only may help the symptoms. You may still be left with a flock of carrier chicks. Do some research on common poultry diseases, and look at MG, IB, and Coryza.

If you have a chick that young with a respiratory disease, that is not good. Antibiotics such as Tylan, Gallimycin, and oxytetracycline are sometimes used to treat MG/CRD and other diseases, but they don't cure them, only may help the symptoms. You may still be left with a flock of carrier chicks. Do some research on common poultry diseases, and look at MG, IB, and Coryza.

Just my luck. I've been doing research today but it's hard without knowing specifically what they have. I just can't figure out how it would have gotten it. I did purchase some chicks from an NPIP certified breeder locally who had vaccinated for Mareks, ILT, and something else but she said they were all vaccines that would NOT make the chicks carriers of anything. I'm hoping that's the case. And that was about a month ago that I bought them. Nothing has been introduced since then. The affected chick was shipped from the East Coast with 8 others from an NPIP farm. I just have no idea how they could get anything. My pens are cleaner than any I have ever visited. So frustrating!

I definitely don't want a flock of carriers of anything. It's just amazing how even if you 'follow all the rules' you can still end up with this stuff. I'm about to just give up on the whole chicken thing. It's definitely not going very well.

Thank you for your advice; I do sincerely appreciate it! I was hoping you'd be one to respond. :)

Take the chick out and isolate it. Medicate only it, and be careful not to spread germs on your hands and clothes. Watch for symptoms in the others. Don't do anything drastic, but if the chick dies you can try to get a necropsy done by the state vet--then you would know what it is. Sometimes chicks get injured from pecking, and they can also have breathing problems from other things. Just watch and keep in touch.

Take the chick out and isolate it. Medicate only it, and be careful not to spread germs on your hands and clothes. Watch for symptoms in the others. Don't do anything drastic, but if the chick dies you can try to get a necropsy done by the state vet--then you would know what it is. Sometimes chicks get injured from pecking, and they can also have breathing problems from other things. Just watch and keep in touch.

Ok will do. It's isolated now. I noticed some other chicks breathing with their beaks slightly opened just for a moment then they went back to normal so I don't know if I'm being overly paranoid now or if they're picking it up too. I will keep a close eye on all. Will medicate tomorrow. I think a necropsy is a good idea if it doesn't make it. I'll keep you posted. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom