Wheezing/respiratory distress in bantam hen

chicknmoma

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Central Louisiana
Please help! My bantam hen seems to be in respiratory distress. I noticed this morning when went to feed she ran to me and sat down. I could hear her wheezing. She seems to have less wheezing but more malaise, no eating or drinking either. She is breathing with her mouth open, and I notice the color is not normal in her comb. It's white, grayish looking. Please help, she seems so pitiful. Will try to upload video of her :-(. Thanks for any help. I have isolated her from the rest of my girls.

If it is respiratory she will need antibiotic as soon as possible (the kind that you mix in water) about 30cc I believe ) such as Duramycin. See if you can get her to eat any yogurt with live cultures and scrambled egg for energy. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply. She deteriorated so quickly when my husband got home I had him put her down she could no longer sit up and was barely open to keep her eyes open. Breaks my heart, just couldn't stand to see her suffer anymore. Everything I put in her mouth just ran out. I wish I knew what was wrong. All my other birds seem fine at this point.
hit.gif

I am so very sorry to hear this. I understand your decision - it was very brave. I have had this happen before and sometimes we just don't know. This same situation happened with my Silver Laced Wyandotte and I have no idea why. She just kept going downhill and nothing I did for her worked. However this chicken I am treating is getting better. Oftentimes, the reverse is the case. Chickens are notoriously difficult to diagnose and treat so you must not blame yourself in any way. The one I am nursing right now has been under care for two weeks right now and while she is very perky and eating well is no way out of the woods because she is still so thin. Her breast bone is easily felt when I pick her up. I worry about her every day.

Please accept my condolences. I am so glad the rest of your flock is healthy and doing well.

first you need to buy Tyland 50 from coastal farm then give 1cc in the breask for one day then see if her get in better,second i think you hen was gapeworm in the throat of the chicken, if too much gapeworm in the throat the chicken will die, so you need to buy Albendazole at the coastal farm store to give her 1cc then after 3 give her another 1cc.
good luck

Back
Top Bottom