When and how do I remove "mom?"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cheryl, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

My cochin is sitting on her last egg out of 4 that I got from chickn (I don't have a roo) The other three were destroyed by the ? "jeolous" chickens!!! Two of which were feathered, with only 4 days left!!! So I am going to hopefully pick up a few chicks to sneak under her and but I want to move her to another coop!! I tried it once during the day, and she just about had a heart attack!!! So at day 20, today...should I move her this evening? Do I put her in a nesting "box" or leave her on the floor of the coop? thank you one and all

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I waited to move mine until she has some chicks with her. Then the broody was ok. She was not happy while being moved, but once she realized her chicks were there she was good.

3. Cheryl

The coop that I will move mom And "?" to has wood shaves in it, and chicks eat wood shaves, so what should I do?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They don't always eat wood shavings, but sometimes they do. Sometimes they eat hay or straw as well, and probably other bedding. Hopefully the mama will teach the baby what to eat; I suspect they are better at that than we are....

5. Cheryl

Day 22 and the one lonely chick hatched, the writing on the egg had worn off, but definitely is a bantam of some sort! So I moved mom, the new chick and the 2 week old chicks in to the muchkin coop. Boy was mom a wreck, she wanted out big time!!! After about 15-20 minutes she calmed down and all are snuggling!!! Now do I let mom out, or keep her penned up 24/7 and for how long? Will she remember where "the kids" are?
    It's so much easier opening the box and putting them all under a light and far less stressful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by