When and how hard is it in integrate my new chicks with my existing flock.

smedly9921

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 20, 2012
North East Ohio
Ok so this year I raised 6 chicks they are 4 weeks old sunday. I read and herd that around 6 weeks or so they are good to go on their own. Well i cant really find any good information on how they do when they are introduced to other older chickens. They are all Red bluffs and there are some red bluff adults in the coop. But variety is the spice of life so i have several breeds. Never seems to be a problem with the older chickens. I have two coops one with a rooster and a few older hens and then my egg producing flock. Its my plan to put them with the layers and keep them around for EGGS. Last year when i bought my chickens i bought a Road Island Red with 5 babies and she did all the work. Well this year she didn't get broody so i did the work. I do not want to put these chicks in with the flock just to have them pecked to death. On the other hand i would really like to have my garage back. The coop is very roomy and they have a very large secure run to play around in. Plus several times a week they get the run of the yard. Well Im new to back yard chickens and so Im asking alot of questions. As always feed back and your comments are welcome. On a side note is there any way to encourage a chicken to get broody. I bought my road island red with baby chicks the old owner says that the chicks she came with was her second group and the she is always broody. Well i think i broke her.

I think the rule is when chick are close to same size as hens they get picked on less. Can you move your garage chick pen next to or into your layers pen so, they can get acquainted but be protected for awhile? Then you could start letting out to free range together and see how they do. I think some breeds go broody more often and some breeds only when they feel the need.

You'll need to keep them seperate from eachother until they are almost fully grown and can protect themselves, I would never ever do it at 6 weeks. If you can some how have a seperate pen from the adults and they can see eachother...that works the best. Then as they get older slowly let them free range together. You will always have some sort of pecking order, but it's better when they are older.

As far as the broody, some breeds go broody, while others will not! You'll have to research on forcing a brood, but it's not always easy. I heard keeping them in a small dark box, that they will eventually go broody...but seems cruel! I use to have buff orpingtons, and they drove me nuts...they were constantly broody, I hear cochins are great mothers too! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom