When and how should I introduce chicks to rest of flock?

bragan

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Rainbow City, AL
About 6 weeks ago we had one Barred Rock hatch. We put it in the brooder and our neighbor had some Rhode Island Reds hatch and gave us one so our one little guy wouldn't be alone. They're out growing the brooder and have almost all their feathers now. Is it time to introduce them? If so, anyone have any tips as to how? We have 11 Barred Rocks, 2 are Roos and 1 hen is in a separate run with the 3 babies she hatched about 2 weeks ago. All but the momma & babies free range during the day..............if I let the 2 6 week olds free range, will they stay with the rest of the flock? I don't want them to wonder of and become coyote or hawk food or the be picked on by the flock......... I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

i lost a 6 week cream legbar pullet to the flock as they where too big and strong and ripped her apart

the ideal age is 15 plus weeks when they are strong enough to run and defend them selves or they will get killed

lost an araucanan at 12 weeks also to aggressive hens

its all down to pecking order and it can get real violent

Oh, wow! I'm sorry that happened. That's awful!!!! That really gives me a lot to think about. I might have to sweet talk my hubby into putting up another run.........A least a temporary one.

I have many of all different ages together. They free range during the day. I think the main thing is to have safe places the smallest can run and hide. For example, the coop is on a slope where the front is a few inches off the ground, higher on the back...the little ones know they can duck under there and no on can get them...including me. Inside the coop, the smallest orphans, at three weeks don't roost yet, and have a nest slightly off the floor. Five weekers recently weaned are trying out different roosting spots and get nipped away by the older birds, eventually they find 'a seat on the bus' I have made creep feeders which is just a temporary enclosure with chicken wire, one side lifted off the ground so the small chicks can creep under the wire and feed on scratch there without the larger birds running them off. Whatever your set up, they need a safe place to get away from large birds with attitude, it can even just be a cardboard box with two small holes cut into it., put them in there with food ad water and let them come and go as they want.

Back
Top Bottom