when and how should i introduce my ducklings to my chicks and chickens?

Stangkid14

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
ok, I searched but could not find anythign really specific to my question.. I currently have 11 laying hens in my coup, we ocasionally free range them but mosty they are in the pen. I also currently have 12 chicks that are about 6 weeks old we got at TS. I will be getting rid of all the roosters. I also have 2 penkin ducklings that are about 2.5 weeks old. My question is how/when should i introduce the ducks to the chicken brooder. And when should i introduce the ducklings and chicks to the hens? Thanks in advance

if you find out let me know lol - i have 15 6 week olds that are going in there big coop this week the thought of throwing em in together makes me nervous lol
- the other day i set one of my pekins ( i have 3 - 2 weeks old ) on my lap and let her look into the chicks brooder - i didnt let her get too close . for my own fear that the chicks would peck her. but they just looked all curious at her . theyve all been in the same barn together - just separate brooders - maybe thats helping idk. when the chicks are outta thier brooder they always fly over to the duck brooder and try n check them out.

like i said my chicken girls will be having the coop all to them selves here this week and then for a few more till the ducks are fully feathered - then my ducks will be put in w my chicks- they will share the same coop - then all will be locked up for a few more weeks - then all free ranged.

so sorry i dont have a really great answer for you but whatever you so - id go slowly :) good luck!

I just had my ducklings out in my yard hanging out and the hens where out free ranging. they didnt come to close and didnt seam too interested. I am more concerned about the chicks pecking them though as I am I seeing them finding their order in the brooder. I thin that i will wait another week or so before putting the ducks in with the chicks

Back
Top Bottom