When are my Hens going to lay (they are 27 weeks old)

Bent Fork Farm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
This photo was about 3 weeks ago, Baby, the one on the left is maturing faster than Bird, the one on the right.
They are Blk Lorps, I got them as chicks in August.
They have been making loud noises, sort of like a mom in labor...I am trying to figure out when they will lay.
I took the advice of one of the members on this site, and placed empty eggs all over the place where the hang out..as they are free range on my land. I JUST WANT SOME EGGS ALREADY...whats the hold up? HELP!

Could be they have laid but you haven't found the nest(s) yet. I've found several surprise nests here and there from my gals and they occasionally hide them. Also have you tried locking them up in a pen to see if they are laying? it helps when you know how many gals are laying out of your flock. I know nothing bout lorps since I raise other breeds but mine started laying at 18wks old. Hope this helps

Masonicflock beat me to the post.

They may be laying already and hiding the eggs. Do you supply them a laying box? It sounds like they are making the egg song so you'll be getting eggs any day now or they've started a secret clutch somewhere. Try searching about in bushes and just watch them when they are making the egg song to see where they go.

Last edited:
I am going to search the secret spots...how do they hide them...cover them up in leaves and stuff? I have a coop and they only sleep in it...how do you sugest I fabricate a nesting box? Tara

Can be a 5 gallon buck with the lid cut half out in and an opening looking like a half moon. Can be a milk crate in a dark corner (mine love this one) can be a cheap walmart shelf that has a back bottom and sides with a lip on front to keep straw in.. Possibilities are endless plus they will just walk and squat one out and just keep going too. Can't make a chicken do what you want lol

No they don't normally hide the eggs. will be in a spot where you can tell they've hollowed out a bed and just laying in it. Check anywhere they go!! found some in the back of my granddads 4wheeler in a drop basket. He wasn't happy bout that haha..

Sometimes I need more space for the new year's hens and roosters growing out so switch the few laying hens left to the grow out coop and simply add a milk crate with straw or hay in it half way into the coop. Never fails, they really like it as long as it's in the coop or corner of run with tarp around that corner.

Last edited:
I got an egg this Morning!!!!
My first egg, from "Baby" ...I took advice from this forum, moved my coop, and til no avil, she did her egg song, I waited, and there it was,!!!!

Nice looking egg. If you put it in the nesting box they will follow suit and lay there from now on. Chickens like to lay with other eggs to form a clutch.

Back
Top Bottom