when are silkies fully feathered?

KellyandKatie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 29, 2007
Kitsap County, WA
I have 7 silkies that are about five weeks old. They are in an X pen in the garage, but today they are outside in the Xpen getting some sun. I have their regular outdoor coop ready to go for them, it does not have outdoor heating, and we are in the Pacific Northwest, so we are getting to 50s some nights yet and then 80s some days--
With my other breeds I could always 'see' when they were fully feathered and ready to go outside
These guys are banties, so they just look small compared to anything else i have had and of corse they do not feather the same:/
So.... since it is fine if they come back in, or get moved out- they have both options ready- when do you all move silkies outside-- how can you tell if they are feathered? I read that they were hardy for this area, they do not look it with all their puff- but maybe I am under- estimating them becuase they are banties and puffy fluffy cutesy wootsy chickies

mine were born 5/14 and have been outside for 1 1/2 weeks now. We're in Maine so it's pretty chilly most nights. I do have two 100 watt bulbs over them but the bulbs are pretty far away (I didn't want the older chicks pecking/bumping them) and for the most part they just sleep in a pile, not even under the bulbs. I've noticed that they have feathered in more quickly since they've been outside. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom