When are they ready to integrate?

Schrebergaertner

Songster
11 Years
Dec 13, 2010
We have an established flock of 11 hens a little over a year old. We have a new brood of 4 hens and a roo that are 4 months old. I've read a lot of threads here on how to smoothly integrate them, and we've let them range together on "neutral ground" several times. There were some squabbles, mostly between the new roo and the dominant hen. The young 'uns stay pretty much by themselves and the roo protects them. We also let the new ones scout out the coop for an hour or two while the main flock was out ranging. We'd like to get the new ones into the main coop before they start laying, which will likely be soon. How soon is too soon? Should we just go ahead and do it? I know they'll work out the pecking order, but we don't want to risk any serious injuries. The young hens are getting pretty close to full size, but of course have some filling out to do.

Is there a magic age? Thanks!

Don (3 BO, 3 RIR, 3 BR, 2 EE, getting ready to meld with 1 WS, 2 more EE, 1 CM, and a WS roo)

I like 4 months they are usually about the same size and can take a peck or two. I use the ranging method as well. Let everyone range together right before roost up time and let them all wander into the run and coop together. If the new ones won't go in the first night carry them in a place them on an empty roosting area when everything is dark. best of luck

Back
Top Bottom