When butt feathers disappear...

Lucy4

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
where chickens dare to tread..
it is always indicative of mites?

The rest of her feathers are fine, including the tail. She has some bald spots around her butt... they don't look sore, but she's definitely missing a lot of feathers.

My feed store doesn't sell DE. Anything else I should do? Sorry, I'm new to chickens and feel at a loss.

Thanks,

Sometimes the feathers around the vent get caked with poop and end up being picked off or more likely fall off. As long as you can see new quills starting to appear in the bare areas, she'll be OK. If you are concerned about mites...check the base of the feathers with a magnifying glass.

how old are your girls that are missing their tail feathers? they do molt at 9 months and tend to loose their tail feathers then. it could also be you have a tail plucker in the group.

you can order DE through some of the poultry supply websites but i know it might be a little expensive.

She isn't actually missing tail feathers -- just butt feathers. (Do those have a more proper name?)
smile.png
The girls are 10 months old, so perhaps they are indeed molting.

Will check her with the magnifying glass. That should be interesting... Alice barely tolerates me. But I'll try!

Thank you both!

Is it normal for them to have a bald area, abut the size of a silver dollar around their vent? Yes.
Still may want to check for mites as part of your routine preventive care. Just go into the coop with a flashlight after dark, pick up a bird, bottoms up and check for flecks that look like pieces of black or red pepper in and around that bald patch. Set the bird back down and apologize for your rudeness. Also, the corners and crevices of your coop.

Quote:
I haven't dealt with mites, but I know there are poultry dusts that you can use. Do a search, keyword 'mites" and it should bring up the names of some brands you can try.
Good luck to you.

i have some Plymouth Barr Rocks that are losing the fuzz all over their backside as well. I just noticed two more yesterday that are losing their neck and breast feathers. I checked for mites and they are clean. I thought it was molting, but the ones losing their butt fuzz have been this way for 4 months or so and nothing is growing back. I'm perplexed about the whole thing, but they seem to be doing ok otherwise. I may separate the worst ones and see if they are laying eggs. If not then I'll probably cull them to the freezer.

i have some Plymouth Barr Rocks that are losing the fuzz all over their backside as well. I just noticed two more yesterday that are losing their neck and breast feathers. I checked for mites and they are clean. I thought it was molting, but the ones losing their butt fuzz have been this way for 4 months or so and nothing is growing back. I'm perplexed about the whole thing, but they seem to be doing ok otherwise. I may separate the worst ones and see if they are laying eggs. If not then I'll probably cull them to the freezer.

What ever happened with your Barred Rocks with the missing butt fuzz? I have one with a bare red butt and it doesn't seem like anything is growing back. It's been at least a month. Like yours, she seems clean and OK otherwise.​

I have a buff orpington that developed a bald behind. When I picked her up the area was soft and mushy and just slightly redder than normal skin. Found out her that she has a rectal hernia. It's been 6 months now and no feathers have grown in that area. She lays fine. Don't know whether it will be drafty this winter.

As for mites we have had to use permethrins from tractor supply. Use as directed on birds and all of coop/yard. We throw the eggs away for 7 days after treatment.

Back
Top Bottom