When can a duckling go outside & can I find our duck a friend of a dif

beepbeepinajeep

Songster
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Piedmont NC
-ferent breed? I hatched a mallard almost two weeks ago and it is very attached to the family, me in particular. It likes to be able to see us and prefers to follow us around (we take it outside for walks). When will it be able to handle being outside? Would it be ok to find a friend for it of a different breed? The chicks are really mean to him if we try to put them together. (they are a week older than him, but he's bigger) I think he'd be lonesome outside by himself. He's getting a little messy to be inside.
Thanks for the advice:) I am really attached to this duck:)

A buddy is good to have. Mine were outside at 2 weeks old, but 7 together so they had a good amount of warmth and friendship ;-) I also have a mix of rouen, pekin and khaki....all do well together.

That is good to know:) He is actually calling me now because I am out of his sight;) I wish ducklings were easier to find! Will he likely become good friends with another duck? Or does he think he's human?
smile.png

Hi! Just how mean are the chicks? Have you left them together long enough for them to get used to the 'stranger'?
I have a single Wood duckling in with a brooder of chicks --- they all freaked out over each other for hours until they got acclimated (all hatched together, but just-out-of-the-incubator chicks all ganged up on the *stranger*, he looks different and sounds different, so let's gang up and pick-at-him-til-we-run-him-out (they start the 'flock-mentality' as chicks).
They are all sharing a brooder now, but the wd'ling hisses at me and runs to the back of the brooder while the chicks come running. As soon as I walk away, you can't tell the duckling from the chicks.
Depending on the situation, there is still a chance to co-mingle them and your lone duckling can be part of a feathered flock.
Ducklings can handle cold early lots better than chicks.

I didn't even notice. Where are you from Aiken, SC? I have a wad of Pekin d'lings that are 8 days old that could be your d'lings friend.
Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

Last edited:
My rouen and my mutt have become good friends. After my rouen's brooder-mate died, we wanted to get him a new friend asap. It took a week for our mutt to get big enough to hang with the rouen because it was older and so much bigger. We introduced them slowly. First letting them see each other through a gate, then both on the grass together, and then eventually both in the teenager pen. At first they were a little freaked out, but now they are practically glued to each other's sides. Since it turned out that the little mutt duck is a girl, I don't imagine them ever being apart now...LOL

The chicks go right for his eyes and feet. He cries and looks for me. They really gang up on him.

Where in SC is Aiken? Central, right? We are in Thomasville, NC.

Back
Top Bottom