When can aggressive drake be reintroduced to his ducklings?

Trimpkey

Songster
5 Years
Dec 22, 2016
Rural Virginia

We have 8 mallard ducklings hatched naturally. We removed the drake as he appeared to peck at them in the nest. They are a week old last Sat and today I tried putting the drake in with them. He immediately attacked a duckling so we removed the drake promptly.
The drake is in our 10' x 10' chicken run alone (but can see his duck and ducklings in another enclosure near him). Our 9 hens are stuck in our 6' x 4' wooden coop with 2 levels but I'm sure are missing their run. Do I need to keep the gander separate for another 7 weeks until these ducklings begin to feather so I can sell them. (I have already sold 4 but the buyer wants 1 male, 3 females and I can't sex them yet)? Should I try again in a couple of weeks?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

We have 8 mallard ducklings hatched naturally. We removed the drake as he appeared to peck at them in the nest. They are a week old last Sat and today I tried putting the drake in with them. He immediately attacked a duckling so we removed the drake promptly.
The drake is in our 10' x 10' chicken run alone (but can see his duck and ducklings in another enclosure near him). Our 9 hens are stuck in our 6' x 4' wooden coop with 2 levels but I'm sure are missing their run. Do I need to keep the gander separate for another 7 weeks until these ducklings begin to feather so I can sell them. (I have already sold 4 but the buyer wants 1 male, 3 females and I can't sex them yet)? Should I try again in a couple of weeks?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
precious pic!

In the wild Mallard drakes[dads]have nothing to do with their off spring he needs to be kept away from the mama and ducklings till they are at least 3 weeks old by then they should be able to stay out of dear ole dads way. Unless you don't let them out of the pen then he may never be able to be with them drakes have been known to kill ducklings. Keep them where they can all see each other when time comes to try again to put them together it might make it easier if they have been able to see each other.

Hi, I have exactly the same problem and have had to separate our drake from his broode after I found one ducking dying and he atacked another.
How did you get on.

Back
Top Bottom