When can chicks go outside full time?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by festivefeet, May 4, 2009.

1. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    My chicks will be five weeks old on WED. When can they go outside full time and do they need a heat lamp?

I live in South East Michigan.

J.

2. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    Mine are around 4 weeks I think. Got them from TSC and they already had feathers started on the wings. I put them out in the coop last week with a heat lamp. I live in Marine City and it got pretty cold last week at night and they were fine. That heat lamp actually keeps the whole coop pretty warm.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They can certainly go out now, already could have. They may need a heat lamp at night til they finish filling in their feathers, maybe a couple weeks or so. Check how they act at night.

4. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are 6 weeks old today and I put them out 2 days before they turned 5 weeks old. With a just a light bulb and lots of straw. They've been just fine in there with all the grown ups.

How many do you have and are they fully feathered out? I have 3 Buff Orp babies they help keep each other warm.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Mine have been out 2 weeks now. They were 5 weeks old when I put them out. We had extreme warm weather and they were getting to big for the brooder. So out they went! I only hooked up the heat lamp one night when it got down to 38/40. They were fine. So I put the heat lamp away.

The coldest its been since then was 49. They are used to the temps now and cuddle up if need be. My babies are big girls now. [​IMG] I already miss the little peeps, but I'm so proud of them! BTW they are in their own little coop & run right along side the big girls coop & run. This way they can size each other up and get used to seeing each other. The day I put them together ? I'm going to take my time with that - they have all summer.

6. ebhoneybees

ebhoneybees Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    Mine are two days old and their momma took them outside. It is really hot in Florida, so they are OK, BUT they can fit right through the chicken wire, so I found them running around in the yard! I have to figure out how to keep them safe now......

7. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Mine are ranging in ages from just under a week up to 3 1/2 weeks. I leave the coop door open and they have the choice to come in or go out when it suits them. The first couple of day sfor the youngest ones I had to show them where to go for the heat lamp (inside the coop) but now they just go in when they get chilled. I only open the coop when it is above 50 degrees and the heat lamp is on all the time. I'm planning on leaving it on until the youngest chicks are mostly feathered in.

I've heard that they feather in faster when they get periodic exposure to cooler air.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine have been outside since 2 weeks old. I just keep their lamp in their house, and they go under it as they need to. It's not terribly cold here, they have been outside every day in-between the worst of the rain.

9. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    They are mostly feathered, not fully...some still need feathers on their breast area, some with skin exposed on the underside and under wings. My sick one, I think I will keep in, not sure though, I don't know how she will fair being outside all the time with her tender feet.

So I am getting that they are wise enough to desern whether to be in the coop or in the run if they are to warm or cold, right? I heard chickens are stupid, so I didn't know if they would know.

So if I hang a feeder inside and put water in and out, that should be fine right? Or do they need food and water in and out? Also, how do I give them grit? Do I provide it in a feeder, mix it with their food?

Thanks for the help.

I think I will give them a few more days and move them on out. [​IMG]

J.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    With a heat lamp and in a secure draft-free coop they can be outside from day one.
    Please be sure and secure your heat lamp in at least two ways, ex: by a chain and zip ties.
    I wouldn't allow them access to their run except on really warm days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by