1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can chicks have veggies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Giddyup, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    They are on starter chick crumble. When can I give them veggies or grasses?

Once we do, is that when we add grit?

They are very healthy little peeps and not a sign of pasty butt.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Yes chicks grit with the greens, I let mine start having some grass when they became 3 weeks old.

3. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I started my chicks on grit at 5 days old then gave them broccoli buds starting on day 8. The buds are the only veggie they got while they were tiny because the buds are tiny enough for them to eat without the hazard of choking.

They also got plain yogurt starting at 8 days old. They eat it better if you use a drop of food coloring in the big spoonful you give, mix it up so the color is all throughout and they will eat it readily. Red works best. Some people don't need to dye it, but my chicks had no interest in it when it was white.

At 2 weeks old I started giving them bigger bits of broccoli and "spikes" which are a type of fishing worm bait. Much like mealworms but smaller and much cheaper if you can find a bait store that sells them.

Those have been the staple treats. I did give them a small amount of Irish soda bread one day, which they loved, especially the raisins part. They were about 4 weeks at that point.

I would definitely recommend starting them on the grit a day or three before starting them on treats. It gives their body a chance to establish a good system for digestion before you start putting things in that need to be ground up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by