When can chicks stay outside overnight without heat?

ella&clara

Songster
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
My chicks are about 6 weeks old, and have most of their feathers. I let them out this morning (40F) and they were happy out all day--high of about 60. I have them in a chicken tractor that has good shelter from wind/rain. To my untrained eye, (first timer) they have all their feathers except on their heads. The low temps here are about 35-40 degrees. When can I leave them outside without heat? There are 9 of them, and they snuggle together to nap, but otherwise are active outside. They fluff out their feathers in the morning, but are active, scratching, eating, & happy. Thanks!

Our's go outside in a grow-out pen at 5 weeks old. I do leave a heat light on in the coop if the temps fall below about 40 degrees though. Once they are fully feathered out they don't need any extra heat, but some are featherd at 5 - 6 weeks, sometimes they are a bit older. I've never ran any kind of heat after 8 weeks though, even in the winter.

Good to know. Mine are only about 3 1/2 weeks and they already have lots of feathers. As soon as the temp reaches 50 F in the morning they go outside and stay for most of the day either in the run or in the yard if I am out to watch them. I'm thinking another week they will be fine out in the coop. I'd rather not put a light in the coop but if we get any really cold nights in the next couple weeks I can get it out there with an extension cord if it doesn't rain. I have 4 girls; 1 Leghorn, 1 RIR, 1 Easter Egger, and 1 Barrred Rock and a Runner duckling. The daytime temps have been 60s-70s here in Boise. Should I for sure wait until 5 weeks? They are quickly out-growing their box in the garage, especially since the duckling is about twice their size. They get along beautifully together though :)

Back
Top Bottom