When can ducklings be with adults?

Twoandhelp

Chirping
Apr 7, 2015
Hope to have new ducklings in 27 days (first time hatching, fingers crossed!) but I'm wondering- will the female ducks take to them like their own? Will the adults pick on them? I'd love for a duck to want to raise them but I figure that hoping for too much!

The females will only mother the babies if they hatched them themselves. They may pick on the young ones at first, since they are not their own, so you should wait until they are 1-2 months old before introducing them. They'll like them after a while, although there may be pecking order fights a first.

Well considering that some mother kill their own young, it's best to raise them yourself. They will need to be full sized before joining adults and will be around 10 weeks old and will take time with slow introductions. Them being able to see but not touch either is the best way to start and then move to supervised time together.

Thanks guys- I'll work on a way they can see but not be together. Love ducklings just don't love them in the house forever :) I'll have them inside for a while anyway I guess since it's getting cooler. Thank you for the info!!

Back
Top Bottom