When can ducks go outside?

I live in Michigan and one day this week its suppose to get up to 65 degrees outside. Is it ok to take ducklings out in the grass for hour or so. its in a penned in area. I am first time duckling mama, they are just starting to get feathers on the tail.

my ameraucana/ blue laced red wayndote chicks are 6+ weeks and cayuga/ welsh harlequin ducklings are 4+ weeks. I live on whidbey island Washington. Chicks went outside a week ago. Ducklings went out side last 3 nights. No heat lamp for anyone. I do cover the enclosures for wind and sun block. I move the enclosures every morning at feeding. They will be moving into the chicken/duck tractors as soon as I move them from my friends place, can't wait. Maybe it sounds harsh but my philosophy is that I want to raise cold weather animals that do well naturaly foraging and being in the elements as well as raising young. egg production a +. Minimal babysitting from me :D. I like the concept of survival of the fitest.:hmm true for me this time they arnt as friendly as my first birds( they would fly to me on comand) but these are also to be meat someday so maybe it's best they just tolerate me:(.

Last edited:
20190511_111714.jpg
20190511_111928.jpg
if you ask me I am pretty sure that they are way happier and content not being in a tote with heat lamp. There world changed when they felt the grass. For me this time I did things differently. when some choir to do became a hassle (smelly, dirty, more food water etc) it was time for upgrades or change of operation. Once they ate or drank too much got them bigger feeders. can't waist time filling the feeders all the time. When I had to change the beding too much and it's smells too bad. time to go outside. temperature has been mid to upper 70's to 50's daytime to night time

Last edited:
3 MONTHS
ep.gif
WOW... I have 5 runners that are 3 weeks old today. I was just thinking of moving them outside this weekend with a heatlamp. Should I wait????
They are in a rubber tote that I clean out at least 2 x a day or more. They get 1 or 2 baths a day. And my house stinks like
sickbyc.gif
. But I love these little buggers and am getting more hatching eggs at the end of the month to add to them.

So should I wait?? What about if I let them outside during the day and bring them in at night? It's to be in the 50s.
B Hep, I have 2 set, 9 in my bathroom 2 weeks old, and 3 in my living room 3weeks old. I have ducks ducks ducks ducks ducks:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpyThey're all running:wee me ragged. I really like the idea of what CRJ said. My house smells like a zoo. I feel your pain believe me.:barniebut like you I love them to death and would not want to get rid of them for nothing.. But will be glad when they can go outside

Back
Top Bottom