When can ducks go outside?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeatherLynn, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Pekinmomma

Pekinmomma In the Brooder

Nov 1, 2017

2. Pekinmomma

Pekinmomma In the Brooder

Nov 1, 2017
    A fluffy blanket on the bottom of the dog crate with pine shavings from tractor supply and straw from a nearby farm. The rest of the quack shack is covered with just straw and lots of it

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  3. Katv2019

Katv2019 Hatching

Mar 7, 2019
    I live in Michigan and one day this week its suppose to get up to 65 degrees outside. Is it ok to take ducklings out in the grass for hour or so. its in a penned in area. I am first time duckling mama, they are just starting to get feathers on the tail.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Yes as long as they aren’t in strong wind. They’ll probably love being outside an hr may be a little long for first time though you’ll just have to watch and make sure they don’t chill. :welcome

DuckyDonna and quackiemama like this.
  5. clitonwood

clitonwood Chirping

May 14, 2014
    Washington
    my ameraucana/ blue laced red wayndote chicks are 6+ weeks and cayuga/ welsh harlequin ducklings are 4+ weeks. I live on whidbey island Washington. Chicks went outside a week ago. Ducklings went out side last 3 nights. No heat lamp for anyone. I do cover the enclosures for wind and sun block. I move the enclosures every morning at feeding. They will be moving into the chicken/duck tractors as soon as I move them from my friends place, can't wait. Maybe it sounds harsh but my philosophy is that I want to raise cold weather animals that do well naturaly foraging and being in the elements as well as raising young. egg production a +. Minimal babysitting from me :D. I like the concept of survival of the fitest.:hmm true for me this time they arnt as friendly as my first birds( they would fly to me on comand) but these are also to be meat someday so maybe it's best they just tolerate me:(.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  6. clitonwood

clitonwood Chirping

May 14, 2014
    Washington
    20190511_111714.jpg 20190511_111928.jpg if you ask me I am pretty sure that they are way happier and content not being in a tote with heat lamp. There world changed when they felt the grass. For me this time I did things differently. when some choir to do became a hassle (smelly, dirty, more food water etc) it was time for upgrades or change of operation. Once they ate or drank too much got them bigger feeders. can't waist time filling the feeders all the time. When I had to change the beding too much and it's smells too bad. time to go outside. temperature has been mid to upper 70's to 50's daytime to night time

Last edited: May 11, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: