When can I add my Pullets to the older hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ginger497, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ginger497

ginger497 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    I have 6 hens that are 18 months old and several 7 week old pullets. When would it be safe to put them together?

2. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    I think the general rule of thumb is when they are almost the same size.

Ours chose for themselves when they wanted to be in the 'big girls' coop since I free ranged them. One of the older 2 girls picked on them a bit, and it's taken awhile, but they are managing quite well now.

Good luck!

3. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    The best time, is when they are the same size as the older hens, or nearly the same size (this will allow them to stand up for themselves and be less likely to get pecked to death).

If I were you, I would start to let them get use to seeing each other. Keep the older ones where they are, but put a small pen (a removable one, dog pen, or anything else easy) next to the older hens, and allow the 7 week olds to run around next to the older girls.....but at the same time, they are separated and out of harms way.
    This will allow you to watch and monitor how they react to each other.
    Once you see that they are getting along, you can do supervised time with all of them together.

Good Luck and Best Wishes,
    Laura

4. ginger497

ginger497 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    hannakat and Laura,
    Thank you for the replys.
    Laura, The pullets are in the same coop just seperated on the end of the coop. It is sectioned off to where the older girls can not get to them.I am having a time right noe getting the pullets "outside" time because I dont have their side accessed to the outside. So, it is a bit of a shuffel but we are looking into fixing that here within the next few days. Might have to change sides with the big girls, they have more room in the coop then the pullets.

Thanks again all!
    there are 68 pullets and 6- 18 month old hens!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by