When can I candle quail eggs???and help plz

4 have hatched already and a lot of them have pipped, will post pictures when I am finished my homework

blimey you have a load of baby quails in there.
all looks really good. 

That's a relief to hear.
It's end of day 16 and so far there are 12 quail hatched out of the 60 eggs put into.
I will put up a video and pictures of them tomorrow

Now I have 26 hatched out of the 60 eggs put in. Hoping more will hatch. Will post pictures when I am finish my homework

Hi from down under.

First time at it. Put in 24 eggs, at fan forced 37.5 degree C and humidity above 60% and on the 6th day candles and all of the eggs had air sack. Most had blood veins, but a few had air sack but can't see any blood veins, just dark then the light coloured air sack.

Then today being 8th day, I saw the once with blood veins, inside was moving! Floating around I side. (so exciting) but the ones that's dark and no blood veins still stay the same with air sack.

What the status of these? Where no blood veins can be seen. Are they in the advance stage? Meaning they are pass the veins stage?

I got one male to 6 females and all my eggs got air sack. Is this a sign of 100% fertility?

Or do normal eggs in fertile also gets air sack when incubated? . Thanks in advance!

Hi from down under.

First time at it. Put in 24 eggs, at fan forced 37.5 degree C and humidity above 60% and on the 6th day candles and all of the eggs had air sack. Most had blood veins, but a few had air sack but can't see any blood veins, just dark then the light coloured air sack.

Then today being 8th day, I saw the once with blood veins, inside was moving! Floating around I side. (so exciting) but the ones that's dark and no blood veins still stay the same with air sack.

What the status of these? Where no blood veins can be seen. Are they in the advance stage? Meaning they are pass the veins stage?

I got one male to 6 females and all my eggs got air sack. Is this a sign of 100% fertility?

Or do normal eggs in fertile also gets air sack when incubated? . Thanks in advance!
Here is an article that explains it a lot better, but note I dissagree with the temperature statement, as most thermometers tend to be off a litte in accuracy.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-just-21-days-from-egg-to-chicken

at fan forced 37.5 degree C- Since you are forced air incubation I would bump up the temp to 38.0 as it is recommended to run at a slightly higher temp. I know the popular measurement is Celsius, but I prefer to use Fahrenheit so I always run at 100.6 to 101.2 F and have a 92-96% hatch success. The explanation (my theory) is that the air movement tends to cool the egg somewhat more than still air. Humidity between 50-65% is also better than a lower humidity as the air tends to dry out the egg.

What the status of these? Where no blood veins can be seen The status is hard to say without pictures and knowing the type of quail egg, but at day 6 & 8, No blood veins and a dark egg suggest a bad egg to me. Most likely the yolk and other has turned and the egg has spoiled. Best take that egg out one at a time and investigate by cracking it open. Consider it a loss before you crack it open even if there is a live chick (but doubtful) because once you crack it open there is no turning back. Cracking the suspected bad egg is the only way to know for sure, unless you do a float test. If it is a bad egg, move on to the next suspected bad egg.

Or do normal eggs in fertile also gets air sack when incubated?- Once an egg is laid it will naturally develops an air sack (without incubation). In most cases the air sack will grow "slightly" as the embryo develops. It should not take up much more than a rough 1/10th (up to 1/6th) of the egg as you are incubating in a higher humidity. In my candling experience (10000+ eggs) the air sack has never been more than 1/4 inch in depth, but that is for bobwhite quail eggs. Depending on the egg (my pheasant) the air sack is quite larger, but still proportioned to the egg/embryo growing inside.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom