when can i candle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Loretta212, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    this is day one of incubation and i was wondering how soon i can candle the eggs to see if anything is going on

2. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    It would be best at 10 & 18 days(before lock down).

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I do my first candle at 7 days. That way you see the veining and get a good idea what's what. I do my 2nd at 14 days and at that time will remove anything that's not progressing. I'll candle again before lockdown just because I can!! [​IMG]

4. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    I candled some off-white bantam eggs at day three, and was thrilled to be able to see a little speck of chick surrounded by red, spidery veins. I just candled this morning at day nine and found it MUCH HARDER to figure out what I was looking at. If you're candling just to see what it's all about, I'd say go for day three. You'll really be able to discern a lot more than you can when the egg begins to get filled and you're staring into a big dark spot. Check the internet for pictures first, so you know what you're looking for. It's easier to look at a picture FIRST, then compare that to your egg, than it is to look at your egg then look at pictures ... then you might be tempted to take it back out of the incubator again if your memory doesn't serve you right.

Good luck, and have fun with it! [​IMG]

5. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    I couldn't wait to candle my first ones, so I did day 3, 7, & 9. I am only on day 10 now so I will candle again in a few more days. I love seeing the development!

6. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    I think we candled on day 6, we could see movement then, i think if you try too much sooner than that it's harder to see whats going on. Then we candles on day 9 then 14 then waited until lockdown which was yesterday! YAY:ya Good luck withyour hatching!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I usually candle for the first time on day 7 (then again on days 14 and 18). That way I have a pretty good idea of which eggs are doing well and which need to be removed. If there are any that I'm unsure about and there's no odor to them, I leave them until the next time I candle. Good luck and hope you have a great hatch [​IMG]

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I can't help myself but to candle at day 5, but I usually don't throw any out that early. I candle whenever I feel like it except during lockdown. Even a newbie can see veining in a white egg at 5 days. Brown eggs, not so much. Wait until at least day 5.[​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

10. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Quote:yea we are doing wellsummer eggs right now, very dark brown! Had to borrow an old slide projector from my husbands mom to see through them well enough to see what's going on, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by