When can I feed my chicks the layer pellet feed?

joeynumber1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Southern, NH
I have 6 chicks who are inbetween 2 months and a little over 3 months. 4 are girls and 2 are boys. At what age can they start eating the layer pellet and game bird crumble feeds? Please let me know. This is the only thing holding me back from putting them with the rest of my adult flock. They need to move out soon because we have a younger batch who, in a few weeks, will have to move into where I have my 2-3 1/2 month olds are now. Again, please let me know at what age my chicks can start eating the layer pellet and game bird crumble feeds?

I use medicated Starter crumbles up to 8 weeks.
Grower Crumbles or pellets from 8 weeks until you get your first egg.
Layer from first egg on.

If I use medicated Starter/Grower I feed it to the birds until I get my first egg then I switch over to Layer. If I have any Starter/Grower or Grower left over when I get my first egg, I mix in the leftover feed with the Layer feed. I have never had any problems. The medication in medicated Starter/Grower crumbles is sulfa based and only helps the chicks in developing their immunity to cocci. There is only a problem eating the eggs layed by the birds that have had the medicated feed when they start to lay if you have any alergies to Sulfa.

I knew I needed to switch the girls over to layer feed after the first egg but didn't know that you could switch to plain grower crumbles before that. Right now my girls are 12 weeks old and have been outdoors for about a month now. I have them on the medicated starter crumbles... so then I guess at this point they don't need the medicated? Please advise~

Thank you!!
Susan

I've always left mine on medicated starter/grower til they are at point of lay and about the same size as the adults so they can defend themselves in the henhouse. Adult chickens can and will starve out a younger pullet or cockeral. I also make sure there are 2 feeders and 2 waterers just so things like that can't happen.

My RIR pullets are 14 weeks old and starting to get red on there comb. I feed them grower/finisher feed, left overs and greens. I am going to wait until i get the first eggs to switch them over to layer feed.

I have 6 chicks who are inbetween 2 months and a little over 3 months. 4 are girls and 2 are boys. At what age can they start eating the layer pellet and game bird crumble feeds? Please let me know. This is the only thing holding me back from putting them with the rest of my adult flock. They need to move out soon because we have a younger batch who, in a few weeks, will have to move into where I have my 2-3 1/2 month olds are now. Again, please let me know at what age my chicks can start eating the layer pellet and game bird crumble feeds?

Don’t. Put everyone on All Flock and offer oyster shell on the side. It will make your life so much easier and it’s better for the girls - especially if you have roosters. They cannot have layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom