1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can I feed my chicks the layer pellet feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joeynumber1, Jun 30, 2009.

1. joeynumber1

joeynumber1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    Southern, NH
    I have 6 chicks who are inbetween 2 months and a little over 3 months. 4 are girls and 2 are boys. At what age can they start eating the layer pellet and game bird crumble feeds? Please let me know. This is the only thing holding me back from putting them with the rest of my adult flock. They need to move out soon because we have a younger batch who, in a few weeks, will have to move into where I have my 2-3 1/2 month olds are now. Again, please let me know at what age my chicks can start eating the layer pellet and game bird crumble feeds?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use medicated Starter crumbles up to 8 weeks.
    Grower Crumbles or pellets from 8 weeks until you get your first egg.
    Layer from first egg on.

If I use medicated Starter/Grower I feed it to the birds until I get my first egg then I switch over to Layer. If I have any Starter/Grower or Grower left over when I get my first egg, I mix in the leftover feed with the Layer feed. I have never had any problems. The medication in medicated Starter/Grower crumbles is sulfa based and only helps the chicks in developing their immunity to cocci. There is only a problem eating the eggs layed by the birds that have had the medicated feed when they start to lay if you have any alergies to Sulfa.

3. Rex Mom

Rex Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Castro Valley,CA
    I knew I needed to switch the girls over to layer feed after the first egg but didn't know that you could switch to plain grower crumbles before that. Right now my girls are 12 weeks old and have been outdoors for about a month now. I have them on the medicated starter crumbles... so then I guess at this point they don't need the medicated? Please advise~

Thank you!!
    Susan

4. joeynumber1

joeynumber1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    Southern, NH
    Quote:Does that mean that I can't move them in with my adult flock because of that?

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've always left mine on medicated starter/grower til they are at point of lay and about the same size as the adults so they can defend themselves in the henhouse. Adult chickens can and will starve out a younger pullet or cockeral. I also make sure there are 2 feeders and 2 waterers just so things like that can't happen.

6. Lisasfeathers

Lisasfeathers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Pa.
    My RIR pullets are 14 weeks old and starting to get red on there comb. I feed them grower/finisher feed, left overs and greens. I am going to wait until i get the first eggs to switch them over to layer feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by