When Can I Get Rid Of The Light?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by screager312, May 7, 2011.

1. screager312

screager312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Mission
    I have 8 that will be 4 weeks old on Tuesday. They have been outside from day 1. I close them up at night with the light and let them out in the run in the morning. The lows at night are mid 70s currently and the highs up to 100 already. We did have a cold spell earlier this week lows were in the 60s and high mid 80s

When can I turn the light off? Lately I have been more concerned about them getting to hot than cold.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Common wisdom says put them outside when they are fully feathered. This can mean with or without heat depending on the temperatures.

Are they still huddling under the light (heat)? If they aren't they don't need it anymore. With your night time temperatures I would think that they are fine without the light (heat).

3. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    They should be fine to remove the light now. I took the light away from my babies at 3 weeks old and they were fine. And they were quieter and sleep better at night also!! It sounds like your weather is warm enough for them now. If it does get a little chilly, they will huddle together for extra warmth. [​IMG]

If you want to be sure, leave the light on and go out after dark when they should be asleep, to see where they are sleeping. If they are sleeping away from the light, they are fine and don't need it anymore. If they are sleeping under the light, they still need it. Keep checking it every couple of days so you know when you can remove it. [​IMG]

4. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    Mine are fully feathered in and I have taken away the heat lamp. If it gets cold again though, I would turn it back on. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by