When can I let the babies out with the rest of the flock? *PICS*

Lisa202

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Long Island NY
Here's Lucy with her 11 day old babies. They are bantams, so they are still so small. I don't want them to get trampled and hurt, but I read that I can let them out of the broody cage at around 2 weeks. Is that too soon for such little chickies?

65913_chickens_103.jpg

Here's a few more pics just because...

65913_chickens_098.jpg

65913_chickens_099.jpg

65913_chickens_097.jpg

I don't know the answer to this but I'm curious as I have my first broody hen sitting on a clutch right now. You're momma is super cute and so are chickies!

She's a bit of a mess right now. She took a dirt bath right before I put the broody cage around her the last week before hatching, so she hasn't had a chance to un-dust herself. (but then she's always been a bit ragged looking...but she's a really sweet girl...and a great mommy)

I read someone's post recently, that one of their little chicks got stepped on and broke it's leg and died. So I'm just a little nervous about exposing these 2 little things to the big girls. But I can't leave them in this little cage forever, and I feel bad for Lucy being cooped up for so long also. She's been in there for 19 days now and I know she needs exercise.

I'm worried about mine b/c she used a box that's got kind of high sides that is up on a shelf to go broody in. The shelf is not super high only about a 2 feet off the ground but when those little buggars hatch they won't be able to leave the nest box at all. I guess I'll just wait till they hatch and then move them all to a safer place. I don't want to interupt her broodyness LOL and try moving her now. Do you know if it's safe to keep her in the coop though if it's just the rooster and a couple ducklings in there with them, but no other chickens? I know I've heard people say that the rooster will help raise the chicks but I'm not sure about that. I don't want anyone getting hurt. The ducklings won't be a problem I don't think as they ignore the chickens and vise versa. Sorry for jacking you're post!!! Hope you don't mind my questions.
hide.gif

Quote:
I've also heard that about roosters, but you can't be too careful. I think you just have to watch and see how he reacts to them, and also how well the mother protects them.

About the broody box being too high, I have heard that people will move them lower after they hatch so that they won't fall. I don't know if you have to put them in a place away from the others at first though. I put a cage around my broody chicken b/c the others kept laying in her nest box and being that she was low in pecking order, she would always leave the nest to accommodate them, so I figured that I needed to keep her on the eggs for that last week. I've left if there as to give the chicks (and the mommy) some peace for a while.

If it's only 2 feet off the floor just make sure you have a good layer of bedding like pine shavings on the floor and they will just jump down when the hen calls them. Mine do it all the time, even higher nest. As long as the floor is soft they will be okay. If you can't let yourself let them jump down when your hen gets off the nest just grab the babies and put them on the floor.

The chicks should be okay with the flock. There might be a bit pecking and grumbling, but in a day or two they will get use to the new little things running around. I have 32 standard to large size hens, one bantam size hen and two large Brahma Roos and when I have a hen hatch eggs she hatches them with the flock and they are out running around by day 3 at the longest. Right now my banty hen hatched 7 standard size chicks on the 26th of March, she took them out with the flock on day 3.

let them out, you hen will know what to do. If your hen is real low in the pecking order I would watch the other hens more then the roos. Just keep an eye on them, but I wouldn't intervine too much.

I usually open the door for my broody( shes in a wire cage with a tin roof, on the coop floor)after the chicks are dry and up and running. Momma will usually keep them in the coop for a couple of days and then take them out with the rest of the flock. Never had a problem. My roos are complete gentlemen and even offer the babies treats. Momma usually chases off any curious hens. I have a small flock of 11- 2 roosters and 9 hens.

Nikki

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom