When Can I Move My Chickens Outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenFanatic447, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ChickenFanatic447

ChickenFanatic447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    I have three 16 day old chicks, three 9 day old, and one three day old. The nights here get to about 66F and sometimes even 70F I'm just wondering when it is considered alright to move them out.

2. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    I was told to wait till they are fully feathered or if its hotter outsider than it is in your brooder they can be put out. With the 16 day old ones I'd probaly wait till they are at least 5 weeks. The others are still to young. But I'm new at this and just going off what others on here have told me! [​IMG]

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Usually when fully feathered they can go outside....about 5-6 weeks. But if you have temperatures in the 90's, they'll be fine outdoors by day earlier than that.

I have had 5 week olds,fairly fully feathered, for 6 days in temperatures in the 70s by day, but I bring them in at night as it is in the 50s overnight.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  4. chickens are great 12

chickens are great 12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2011
    You can let them outside when some of their feathers start to come in. Bring them outside for a few minutes to get used to it, in maybe a small cage or something. Then put them outside and see how they do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by