When can I put my chicks outside with my other hens?

Oh I better keep an eye on this info.
We have 6 chicks, week old in the spare bedroom, and another 14 eggs in the bator in there. DH wants the chicks OUT OF THE HOUSE so he is going to build a brooder (we were STUPID and sold the last one he built) And then the week olds go out to the garage with heat lamp. SO I guess we will be building a new brooder, "toodler" coop, and a a teenager coop.

DH isnt going to like this.

They are now 8 weeks old and have spent the last 2 nights out with the older gals. they are doing fine. The others still keep to themselves, in fact after they went in, the babies went out for their turn. It has gone remarkably well. If you want more info PM me.

We got 15 chicks August 13 from Ideal. We've had them outside in their own small coop without heat for about a month. We are in Southern Maine. They are healthy, feathered, and growing well. We plan on introducing them to the five adult hens soon. They free range the property together during the day. I do plan on some kind of escape area for them when they go into the regular coop.

Back
Top Bottom