When can I put my duckies outside???

DuckLover179

Waddles & Puddles
9 Years
Nov 28, 2010
California
This monday they will be 3 weeks old. They are already COVERED in downy. When do you think I can move them ouside? I have weather proofed it, it has a tarp, and slits in the chain to prevent drafts.
smile.png

Thanks!

(P.S. Only reason I ask is beacause they are outgrowing their current enclosure.)

Don't let the temps go below 65 degrees. They are still young. BTW they are to young for down feathers, those will come in later.

Im wondering the same thing cause mine are a month old and the other is a month and a half and they outgrew their brooder. Isnt it too early for them though?

I would think it is too early for them. I guess it matters where you live, but they should be kept pretty warm until they get their adult feathers. It gets a little old cleaning out that brooder, but hang in there.

Too young to be outside permanently- but that doesnt mean they cant be outside for an hour or two at times during the day when its warmer. How easy would it be for you to move them and the lamp for a few hours each day?? And could you quickly bring them back inside if the weather turned bad without warning? I mean- if you are home all day- you can keep an eye on them- but if you are away from the house they would be better left inside. In a larger group they may do better- but since you only have the two of them, it might be better to wait a little longer.

True
hmm.png
Theyre BARELY getting their feathers, the female, (1 month) is still fluffy
tongue.png

I just get really anxious because I feel they hate me for not being able to be outside
temperature is just way too cold

Quote:
I searched in other threads, and a LOT of people put them outside when they are 2 weeks old, with their brooder lamp, and they do just fine... I guess they are hardy. We might try that this weekend, when it starts to heat up. Mine have outgrown their brooder too. If I pick one up, they other trys to jump out, and they can. So, I'm just trying to figure out a safe alternative. I'm going to try letting they spend a night outside this weekend in their big kid house, and see how they do. They are very fluffy, and with the heat lamp, and a cozy dog house with a towl to cuddle up to, I think they will be fine!
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks! At least you guys know what i'm going through. I have to change it 2 times a day, because they are little poop machines, and I have to get up in the middle of the night, because they run out of water, and food... Not to mention their daily baths, and then cleaning the tub!
th.gif

Quote:
I searched in other threads, and a LOT of people put them outside when they are 2 weeks old, with their brooder lamp, and they do just fine... I guess they are hardy. We might try that this weekend, when it starts to heat up. Mine have outgrown their brooder too. If I pick one up, they other trys to jump out, and they can. So, I'm just trying to figure out a safe alternative. I'm going to try letting they spend a night outside this weekend in their big kid house, and see how they do. They are very fluffy, and with the heat lamp, and a cozy dog house with a towl to cuddle up to, I think they will be fine!
smile.png

Isnt that kind of dangerous
hmm.png
I just get really worried because I wouldnt know if they need water or food or if theyre too cold or too hot
ahh
I wish it wasnt so cold out, Id be happier and not so worried

Back
Top Bottom