When can I put my ducklings outside?

HeatherMo

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
I’m new to chickens and ducks. My chickens are about 3 months old and have been in the coop awhile now. I bought 2 ducklings a week ago who are now 2 weeks old. I absolutely love them and had no idea how much I would be enjoying them. What I don’t love and was not prepared for is the enormous amount of poop and the horrid smell. 2 ducklings are SO much worse than 6 chicks. I’d love to get them outside as soon as I can but when is it safe? I’m in Michigan and it gets to be about 60ish at night and 70ish during the day. I’ve also been surprised that they don’t have the need for heat that the chicks did. I quit with the heat lamp because they always seemed too hot and stayed away from it. They seem much more comfortable without it. When it’s safe, I will put the ducks in a dog kennel inside the run for a couple weeks to let the chickens get used to them. Maybe the heat lamp on at night and cover the kennel with a heavy blanket. When do you move your ducklings outside? Thoughts?

If the local weather is staying above 65℉, I pretty much raise them outside without heat. For the first two weeks, I do bring them inside every night—and they sleep in a small dark box with a lot of hay bedding. No water, no mess. After that, they're on their own at night.

Have you researched duckling waterers? A gallon jug with a hole in the side is so much less messy than a traditional waterer.

My short experience has definitely seemed contrary to what I’ve read about ducks. Lots of information out there about not putting them outside until they are fully feathered. That sounds miserable! They really don’t seem to be that fragile with temps but I don’t want to be foolish and take risks either. I really love these 2 and would hate to lose them to the elements. No, I haven’t looked into duck waterers, will do! Thanks.

Lots of information out there about not putting them outside until they are fully feathered.
Ducklings feather ridiculously slowly. Do these recommenders have a separate room in their house solely for raising poultry? 'Cuz I raise ducks in lots of about ten, and I cannot imagine the chaos.

Brooder size would be a nightmare.
Friday, i heard my son say "what the"
I run into the living room and our patio door wasnt all the way shut and Mawmaw walked inside!!!
The Ducks knock on our patio door with their beaks if ky kids come inside for more than 3p minutes.
They also like to crap on my threshold. I opened the door to say get off the back porch and i scared Goldie and she slipped in her poop and it sling it across my living room!!!
:barnie

Friday, i heard my son say "what the"
I run into the living room and our patio door wasnt all the way shut and Mawmaw walked inside!!!
The Ducks knock on our patio door with their beaks if ky kids come inside for more than 3p minutes.
They also like to crap on my threshold. I opened the door to say get off the back porch and i scared Goldie and she slipped in her poop and it sling it across my living room!!!
:barnie
Great visual!:lau

Back
Top Bottom