When can I sex my turkey? *PICS*

ticks

Pheasant Obsessed
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
The Sticks, Vermont
My lone turkey hatched out in mid/late May, since day one he has een acting tomish. Pecking, chirping, and strutting. He struts and hisses at me. That's why I call it a him, but when will I really no if it's a male or a female? I'm sure all turkeys regardless of sex strut like that a young age?

Last edited:
As soon as you can see the edging start to show, I never really noted at what age they were.

On the palms you just have to wait, the toms will have a longer snood, and once they loose the fuzz and start growing feathers they will have none of very little on their head.

Steve

Steve... do the females gobble and strut when they are young, I have two BRs and one has been strutting since it was a couple of weeks old, the other didn't, now at 8 weeks I have the one that struts a lot and gobbles, the other one has been seen strutting once and although it normally makes some other sounds I have heard a little gobble from it too. I was hoping that I had one of each gender... so, is strutting and gobbling any sort of indicator at the age of 2 months?

Raising turkey is new to me too.

My BR is 14 weeks. I've been going by the red flush on his head to say it is a boy. I guess I need to look closer at his feathering.

My 2 BS are 15 weeks. I'm not sure about them. Their heads will get some red to them under stress, but not quite like my BR. I was hoping they would be a boy and girl for mating.

ETA: Does anyone have pictures of the BR boys in teenage stage with the black feathering? Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom