When can I start feeding egglayer?

jofos

Chirping
13 Years
Nov 7, 2008
I added chicks that hatched in early May to my flock and stopped feeding egglayer when they were added. How long should I wait before they are old enough to eat it. My egg production dropped to almost nothing. I know that it drops during the summer but still egglayer helps some. So how old do my birds need to be?

Egglayer feed doesn't make them lay; in fact, it has nothing to do with it at all, so that is not why your production dropped off. It only gives laying hens the nutrition they need while they are producing eggs. When the youngsters are around 18 weeks old, they are old enough to add the layer feed back.

when your girls reach POL (point of lay) which is usually around 20 weeks, they will start to show signs, reddening of combs and wattles, and "squatting", when this happens, you will have eggs shortly...then you can offer them Layer feed.

I asked the farmer whom I buy the feed from, and he said when they reach 6 months of age.

I also have a question if anyone is willing to answer; I have 2 roosters and 1 hen. Is it OK to feed roosters laying feed???

Quote:
I have 16 pullets/hens and 3 roos...the roos will be getting laying feed when I switch over...(I am waiting till the younger ones reach POL to switch...) I don't think it will harm them, although I heard you can use Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side when feeding roos with hens...your choice.

Quote:
depends on age, if they are almost to POL, like 2 weeks or so, it should be ok...if they are quite young, yes it can definitely harm them...they need the right food at the right time to grow properly

The extra calcium and oyster shell can harm the younger chickens but the grower has more protein so they will bulk up some. I agree with giving the "younger" feed with free oyster shell for the taking until the younger ones are 17 or 18 weeks of age. When I had both feed available in the coop, the older ones went for the grower food more. So I still had to put oyster in the coop too.

68634_dsc_0245.jpg

3 of my hens....all still on Starter/Grower...very healthy, and fluffy...the front one is the one laying eggs...

Back
Top Bottom