When can I stop feeding my ducklings nonmedicated feed?

cat1994

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Southeast MO
Hi, I know that you should never feed ducklings medicated feed. But what I was wondering is when you can stop worrying about whether the feed is medicated or not. Do I need to wait until they are totally feathered? Does anyone know how old they need to be before they can stand feed with meds in it?

As long as the feed has amprolium in it, it's fine for ducks. Just make sure to up the niacin content.

Clint

Quote:
What really never wow I thought it was just the ducklings that could not have meds in the food. Well I guess the feed I have been giving my breeding flock of ducks has no meds in it, I just feed them DuMOR
00ae.png
Poultry Layer 16% Feed. But I feed my ducklings DuMOR
00ae.png
Chick Starter/Grower 20% Feed, it is for chickens, ducks, geese, turkey, quail, and pheasant. So you this it would be ok to feed them DuMOR
00ae.png
Poultry Grower/Finisher 15% Feed next? Well now that I look at the bags I didn’t see any were saying there are meds in the feed.

I think that the meds are mostly in the chick starters, from what I have read. I feed my ducks poultry feed (right now a laying mash, but I have fed them grower/maintenance also), and there's no medicine in it. Tostart them out, we used a turkey/waterfowl ration and I added some rolled oats to that (5 parts ration to 1 part oats).

I think (someone set me straight if I misremember) the ducklings just eat so much more and grow so fast that they'd overdose on medication. That's something to remember in the future, as well, when it comes to dosing through food or water.

Back
Top Bottom