When can I stop separating my ducklings and chickens?

sunnyschickens

Chirping
13 Years
Feb 5, 2009
Hello! I have 10 young (4 month old) chickens that free range in my fenced yard and sleep in their coop at night. My 3 Pekin ducklings are 5 weeks old and have their own area enclosed on 3 sides (but with chicken wire fencing on the 4th side also in the fenced yard) which houses their pool and feed and water, etc. The chickens are very curious about the ducks and vice-versa. When can I start leaving the chicken wire fence gate open for co-mingling? I should mention that I have an old sweet Lab who leaves the chickens alone (after he was scolded for chasing them - he'd never been in trouble with mommie before and it scarred him!) who is also curious about the ducks (LL Bean catalog cover comes to mind). Thanks everyone!

Try them together during the day with supervision. Chickens can really put a hurting on a duckling and a duck too, Those beaks can cause serious damage. Hopefully they will get along. Mine do but when my ducks and chickens are youngsters they are only allowed to be with everyone with supervision. Then when they are all getting to know each other and no one is getting overly picked on then they can be together for good. My chickens and ducks share a large coop. Chickens up high on their roost, ducks on the floor on the bedding. When my Muscovy aren't broody and ornery they sleep in the main coop and roost with the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom