When can I switch to "layer" feed from "grower?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ZaneyMama, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    I realize that "layer" is for chickens that are laying, but since I have a variety of different breeds that will all start laying at different times, should I switch them all to layer once one starts laying, or keep them all on "grower" until they are all laying?

I use soy-free organic feed and the "layer" is 20 cents a pound cheaper, so I'd love to switch to that if I can.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I switch over once I get the first egg.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    You don't want to switch until their laying. I keep mine on Flock Raiser and just give them free choice oyster shells.

Missi

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

If only the 2 choices, I would stay with the Grower and offer Oyster Shell free choice, until most are laying. Are they all the same age? How old are they?

5. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    They are just over 18 weeks, all the same age. I have ten of them. The grower is 20% protein and the layer is 18%, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

6. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    It's not so much the percentage of protein but the increased calcium levels (promotes strong shells) in the layer feed. If the birds are not laying they do not need extra calcium. I generally switch the whole flock to layer feed when I see the first egg. Then if we have a really severe, cold winter or tons of them are molting I will often go back to the higher protein Flockraiser (grower) and supplement with a bucket of oyster shell.

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I switch my chickens from starter/grower at 16-18 weeks of age..always have. they are fine..I take really good care of them and I did some research for this before doing so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by