When can i take my chicks from the hen?

Zeezuur

Hatching
Aug 27, 2018
Yesterday my hen hatched some chicks and their chicks are pretty high off the ground so we were going to take them from her and move them but I don't know when or how long until I can take them from her, we've got some heat lamps and other things ready.

If I were you, I would re-locate the hen and her chicks. Put them in a safe area with food, water, and shelter. The mom will raise the chicks better than any person ever could. I have raised chicks in brooders, and I have left chicks with their mom, and the hen-raised chicks are always healthier/smarter/more active, etc.. (Not to mention how much easier it is!). You make the call, but that's my opinion. If you do decide to separate the babies from the mom, you can do it as soon as you want.

If I were you, I would re-locate the hen and her chicks. Put them in a safe area with food, water, and shelter. The mom will raise the chicks better than any person ever could. I have raised chicks in brooders, and I have left chicks with their mom, and the hen-raised chicks are always healthier/smarter/more active, etc.. (Not to mention how much easier it is!). You make the call, but that's my opinion. If you do decide to separate the babies from the mom, you can do it as soon as you want.

Awesome! So glad you decided that. I promise you won't be disappointed!
IMG_2976.JPG

Thank you, we've got a pretty large rabbit cage for her so we'll probably relocate her with them as soon as we know all eggs have hatched! ;)[/QUOTE
FYI She may or may not sit till all those eggs hatch. If it is more than 2-3 day from first to last she may decide it is time to get food and take what chicks have hatched with her. Not sure how many she has but just want you to be ready for that possibility

Back
Top Bottom