When can I take my chicks outside to 'play'?

mraeirish

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2020
Hey there! I am wondering when I can take my week old chicks outside to scratch around in the grass for a little while? It's cold here - around 35 degrees. Can they be out for 20-30 minutes at a time?

Hey there! I am wondering when I can take my week old chicks outside to scratch around in the grass for a little while? It's cold here - around 35 degrees. Can they be out for 20-30 minutes at a time?
I would be worried about them cooling more than you realize. My broody does it no problem, but the chicks realize warm is under momma. 4-5 weeks when they are fully feathered would be a much safer option.

Have you thought about bringing outside
to them? A chunk of sod would give them hours and hours of entertainment. Make sure you have chick grit available so whatever they cram down their neck makes it all the way through without issues.

I would be worried about them cooling more than you realize. My broody does it no problem, but the chicks realize warm is under momma. 4-5 weeks when they are fully feathered would be a much safer option.

Have you thought about bringing outside
to them? A chunk of sod would give them hours and hours of entertainment. Make sure you have chick grit available so whatever they cram down their neck makes it all the way through without issues.
Thanks! I just have chick starter. I'll get some chick grit asap and put some sod in there. :)

If chicks are only in starter, the grit isn’t needed. Any time they eat anything else, they should have grit.
They will have a blast on a chunk of sod. Good luck!

If you have the option to bring heat out with them then that’s an option, otherwise it’s safer in cold weather to keep them in until they’re feathered.

Back
Top Bottom