when can my babies swim?

Younger

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Hi everyone
Just picked up my 3 ducklings (2 pekin and 1 Rouen). They are about 4 days old. When is it safe to bring them in the sink for a swim? They love playing in their water dish. It's too cold outside (they are in the garage under a heatlamp) but wondered if I could give them swim time in shallow water in the sink?

BarredRockGirls

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Ohio
let them! they will love it . just supervise them as they may get tired . make sure to dry them off after and get them under the heat lamp . Enjoy! swim time is sooooooo much fun! mine get 2 swim times a day and always have since 2 days old
celebrate.gif

BarredRockGirls

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Ohio
Yep ! My girls are inside a heated barn and I still give them a warm bath they are just getting their feathers ;) on warmer days I don't have the heat up in there as much and their swim is cooler ;)

They normally have a pool but it's gotten too shallow so now I just put them in the sink lol not as much room but they can dive ;)

BarredRockGirls

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Ohio
Pekins don't fly . They flap around a lot and try lol but they are flightless ducks .
My girls will be 4 weeks on Monday ;) and every day or every hour I swear they change so much from the last time I saw them so they could be feathered by next week or it could still take a few weeks who knows . Pekins grow at an amazing rate it's so fun tho ;)

Younger

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Just tried them in the sink and all they wanted to do was try to climb out. I used lukewarm water and only about 2 inches, barely covered their legs to start. They huddled in the corner and wanted out. I sat with them about 5 minutes and then dried them and put them back under the heat lamp. They started preening and dancing. Maybe tomorrow will be better LOL

BarredRockGirls

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Ohio
Don't be afraid!! Do it deeper! They are ducks haha they will love it and start zooming and diving before u know it . Next time make it so they can't touch or can barely touch and give them treats in the pool . Squished thawed out frozen peas all ducks pretty much go gaga for or rolled oats or cut up grass . Soon they won't want to get outta the pool hahaha

Top Bottom