When can my chicks and ducklings be let out

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aaronzclark, Apr 9, 2009.

1. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy! I was wandering when my chicks and ducks could be let out in their run they are 2 and half weeks to 3 not exactly sure there is no where they can go and its middle 40s at night and 60-80 in day time I will post a pic on their size [​IMG] [​IMG] this was 5 days ago they are a bit bigger

2. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Cool pic of the ducks!

I let mine out at 3 weeks just during the day when the sun was shining. It was around 60-70 degrees but I use a horse stall as the coop and built on a run so I kept the heat lamps going so they came and went as they pleased. My youngest are now 5 weeks and the oldest 10 weeks and they can stay out in 60 degree weather all day as long as it stays light. At night they want to come in, but thats a good habit to get into with all the predators. Hope this helped

vortec

3. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

The chicks know how to walk up their board to the coop but the ducks is a little lower and still don't know how to use it

4. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I put mine outside at 2 to 3 weeks and it was still 25 to 30 at night. They seem to do fine. I even put a heat lamp in the house but they still just stay outside, crazy birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by