When can my chicks go outside for part of the day? Confused

Quote:
I'm confused! I thought I understood everything, but now I don't understand! If scratch is a treat, how is it different from layer/grower feed, for example?
hmm.png

Scratch lacks the complete nutritional value they need, is whole seeds and cracked corn. Mine feel like they are too good for regular scratch, they will only eat the 5 way. I am in South Caroline and have had no problem with scratch making mine hot. Grit should not be sprinkled on the food but placed in it's own dish, they will eat only what they need. Mine still get sand/parakeet grit, the yard is full of it and they love it.

Quote:
That is the #1 best explanation of scratch I've ever heard!! Thanks so much for that!!!!!

Bought some chick grit today at the store. Will see if the girls like a bit of it...

Actually after my babies went thru their first box of parakeet grit, I never bought more. I just went out to our gravel driveway and scooped up a pile of dirt mixed with the small pieces of gravel. Used a big pan to scoop it up in and laid it in the grass for my chicks to explore. They loved scratching around in it to find the pieces of gravel.

I'm new to raising chickens too, and although I never really questioned taking them outside as long as it was nice out? I live in chicagoland, so it's usually still cold here around march and april, which was when I got my chicks, but this past april, we had quite a few days in the 60's and 70's (which I consider warm!!) and I thought those were perfect days to take the girls outside!

I've been taking them out at every chance and they love it. They graze around the grass and look for bugs while I garden and what not. Anytime one of them finds a worm or bug, it runs away really fast and the others chase it, it's an adorable game!

Yeah, don't worry about it AT ALL! They are fine!!! I would just remember to leave a carboard box tipped over for them for shelter, and maybe put their water out there with them. Don't worry about it!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom