When can my chicks go outside to thier "Eglu Cube"?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GreenSpirit Hydro, Mar 12, 2009.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

They should be fine at those temps. Might give them a lamp for a few nights to wean them off the heat, but should be fine. I've taken away heat lights on birds at 6 weeks old when temps got into the 30s at night. They were brooded outdoors though, and in a dozen or more bunch, so were well adjusted.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, what silkie said. Mine were off their heat lamp at 5 1/2 weeks with nighttime temps. in the 40s. They weren't even in a coop at that time. They were on the screened porch with a good draft guard.

3. GreenSpirit Hydro

GreenSpirit Hydro In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    I got the "Eglu" from www.omlet.com It was crazy expensive, about $1200 w/ shipping, but it is behind my business which is brand new construction so I wanted something that looked good. Plus it is easy to maintain. They are really sweet!

4. Blondie

Blondie Songster

I can't believe you have all these chickens in your house at that age. It must really be dusty and stink to high heaven. [​IMG]

I put my chicks in the coop at 4 days old with 2 heat lamps. There is not a draft and the temps were 60's during the day and 40's at night. They are all fine.

5. d_cat88

d_cat88 In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Amarillo, Texas
    I was going to put mine out next week after I finish building their run, but we just got 4 inches of snow this afternoon, so I don't know if they would be ok. I only have 4 and they are about 5 weeks old.

6. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    My 25 chicks are 3 weeks old and outgrowing the brooder. I am so sick of the dust. YUCK.

They are going out next week to a small coop as soon as it warms up a bit. It's cold here right now. I will hang a light though.

Last year my chicks did better outside. They thrived after getting out of the house.

7. GreenSpirit Hydro

Aug 22, 2008
    We have the chickens in the storage of my business and change the cage every 3 days so the smell is not that bad. Would never do it at my house. They will go out Monday.

8. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:How old are they?

9. GreenSpirit Hydro

Aug 22, 2008
    About 6 weeks, lots of feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: