cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
I have three 6.3 week old chicks. I was wondering when it is safe to leave them outside fully?

My average temp right now:

Day: About 53 degrees.
Night: About 38 to 40 degrees.

Thanks in advance!

I have three 6.3 week old chicks. I was wondering when it is safe to leave them outside fully?

Thanks in advance!
They can be in the coop, but keep the heat lamp on. If you are worried about a draft you can use a heat pad or keep them in a cardboard box .

Thanks in advance!
I’d say depends on your set up outside, if they are fully feathered and if they have access to get out of the elements such as wind and rain.

I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old go through nights with lows in the mid 20's Fahrenheit with no supplemental heat. They were in a coop with great ventilation up high, really open. They had excellent wind protection down low where they were. They had been exposed to cold temperatures before the move so were acclimated.

Yours are about a week older and your temperatures are almost 15 degrees warmer. I don't know what your facilities look like or if they have seen any colder temperatures.

They can be in the coop, but keep the heat lamp on. If you are worried about a draft you can use a heat pad or keep them in a cardboard box .
I really liked everyone's comments here.

Good stuff.

I wanted to comment on Buddies' post.

I noticed on Youtube videos that a lot of people with heat lamps are making sure they are really secure with no chance of falling or doing fire damage. A lot of people may assume you already know that when they say they are using heat lamps.

But a lot of us just starting out, wouldn't think about that.

For example, a family member's kid comes over and starts yanking on your cords when you would never have thought they'd do that. If they aren't secure who knows what will happen. (Happened to me recently.)

So you're saying that I can put them out without heat today?

They are 6.4 weeks old.

In those temperatures I do at 5-1/2 weeks but I lock them in the coop section only, they do not get access to the run. I don't know what your coop looks like. If it is a wind tunnel you could have problems. It's not just age and temperatures. It's the conditions they will live in.

I acclimatise mine by putting them outside on nice days (bringing them in of an evening or if the weather changes) from about 4 weeks. They're outside full time by 6-8 weeks depending on the weather/time of year.

Back
Top Bottom