When can my duckies sleep outside? & WHEN to switch feed

kikidee

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
San Clemente
Sleeping issue- My two cayuga ducklings are 3 days away from being exactly 6 weeks old. Their entire underside is covered in adult feathers and there wings are mostly covered. I usually put them outside until the sun goes down and then bring them in and let them sleep in a large box in my garage where it is warmer than outside. I am afraid to put them outside and get them too cold. Is it okay to let them sleep outside in a shelter like a doghouse or are they too young? I am in LOVE with my two baby drakes <3 i don't want anything bad to happen to them.
big_smile.png

Feed issue- they are still on starter mash when do I switch to the next level of feed and what is it called?

When my ducks where young I put them out when they where about 5 and a half months old. I just made sure they had a place to get out of the weather. A dog house will work great. I ween mine off of starter when they are 5 months, when they go to flock raiser. Im not sure about layer feed I dont use it since I have both ducks and chickens. But I would say they are old enough. My muscovy babies are 5 weeks right now and are outside, of course they have been since they where hatched and reared by their mamma. But they sleep outside in their pen and are just fine. They arent evan huddled up. Think of ducks as big balls of insallation. Even though they arent fully feathered they should be warm enough.
smile.png
You should post some pics of your little babies! I love the look of cayugas, they are beautiful birds.

They'll be fine !!

I had my two 'scovie ducklings outside for good at 7 weeks ,and at the time it got down to about 10 degrees celcius at night and rain almost every night ,which made it feel cooler. All they had was a cardboard box with a hole in it to get into with shavings on the bottom. They did fine !!!

Your we duckies will the fine in that nice California weather in a dog house !!

Living in Louisiana, and having 3 two month old Pekins and 3 two month old Buffs, I have a nice coop, but I regularly let them sleep outside in
my fenced backyard. So far no major issues, no signs of anything looking to eat them either. My dogs have the run of the yard as does an outdoor
cat, my dogs come in at night, but so far, no issues.

Only question is, would the chicks/ducks feel more comfortable inside their coop? Am I doing them any harm?

-Pete

Back
Top Bottom