When can my silkie chicks join a lonely hen out in the coop?

samhahn

Songster
5 Years
Aug 17, 2017
I had 2 silkie hens which I kept indoor at night till they were 5-6 month and lived in a smaller coop that I bought and built outside since then for past 3 1/2 years. One died due to an hawk attack last summer. So I got more and currently have 8 chicks. They are being raised indoor like the first time and currently almost 3 weeks. This time around, I have a coop outside. So I figured I can grow them in the coop earlier than last time. So around what age can they join the hen outside? It is winter here and the temperate varies from 30s at night and 50-60s during the day time. The coldest it will get here during the night will be low 30s and during the day 40s at its coldest. While not the best coop out there since it is made with thin light weight wood but it is against the deep end of a wall of a U shaped house with a roof covering the coop area.

Hey sorry the hawk will look for more meals hardware cloth is good way to stop them or even poultry netting over a run .. soon as they have feathers but sillkie can be held inside longer

Hey sorry the hawk will look for more meals hardware cloth is good way to stop them or even poultry netting over a run .. soon as they have feathers but sillkie can be held inside longer
I will get some bird netting to cover the temp. run.

They could probably go outside on warm days right now, if they'll have somewhere to shelter from the wind. A lot will depend on how the hen takes to them, but it's never too early to start look but don't touch, Imo.

They’ll be good to go outside once they’re fully feathered. Generally that’s around 6 weeks. Since the weather is cold and they’re silkies, you could give them an extra week or two beyond that if you’re unsure if they’re ready.
Ok. Sounds good. I will do that. Btw starting what age can I let them loose outside and bring them in just to sleep before full time coop life begin for them?

They could probably go outside on warm days right now, if they'll have somewhere to shelter from the wind. A lot will depend on how the hen takes to them, but it's never too early to start look but don't touch, Imo.
I am planning to setup a temporary confined run much like small green house. How much room do you think will be sufficient for now?

Back
Top Bottom