when can the chicks go on to the grass ......... and climb a ramp ???

bazjo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
102053_dscf9075.jpg

Out with mum in coop on the veranda it is 30 degrees here in Qld Australia cooler at nght ....... she is 10 days today ....... a little older than this pic ........
I am wondering how to feed mum and chick ..... mum is eating chick starter at present ........... and staying in the coop with the chick and I have shut off the ramp area and put them in the top at night and bring them down for the day ........ mum keeps scratching the water bowl ........... and tipping it over ............ worried when I am not around ???
thinking of opening up the top of the coop so they can go up and down ............ the ramp .......... ??? what age can they cope ???
and when they can go on to the grass ????

Grass and ramp: they can go now. They'll follow Momma and she'll chirp to make sure they follow her. You'd be surprised, I don't have a ramp and the kids can usually get up into the pop hole by jumping and flapping their wings. Occasionally I get a slow one that I have to open the "people door" for, but they still have to hop up about 5 or 6 inches to navigate the stairs. They all make it.

Absolutely. I let chicks out with momma in an enclosed run as soon as they hatch.....I use an old rabbit hutch as a brood pen and the chicks can run right out onto the grass (which they usually do within about 12 hours). This is with temperatures in Wales. There has been overnight frosts at times when less-than-24 hour old chicks have run onto the grass and started pecking. they soon run back under momma when they get cold and I have never lost chicks to cold.

The first time I had a broody hatch eggs the nest boxes were 18" above the floor (about 15 above bedding). After a few days the followed her when she left the nest. I thought oh no! but was shocked when I went back and they were back in the nest.
They're quite agile at an early age.
She'll take them out when she and they are ready.

What if they don't have a mommy with them? At what age can they start going outside in the enclosed pen and walk the ramp?

Quote:
I have brought babies out on really warm days at a couple days, however since there is no mommy you have to be mommy. You must limit the time they are away from warmth accordingly. Short stints only if it is cold. If you wanted to create an outside fenced pen for them where they would have access to a sheltered heated area (warmed in accordance with age) they should be fine at almost any age in my opinion. Grass never hurt a chick or chicken I have owned
smile.png

Last edited:
What if they don't have a mommy with them? At what age can they start going outside in the enclosed pen and walk the ramp?

As far as rounding them up the post above me hit the nail right on the head. "Conditioning with FOOD" and there are step to do this.

1 find the foods they love best.

2 start the conditioning by doing the same thing lets say at 8am and 4pm each. At 8am you walk out to the birds and at the gate ring a bike bell. (mine is on the gate and I walk in or around with it) or whatever, a shake a can with rocks or penny's in it. Walk over and sit down chair or ground but remember we are doing the exact thing every day. ring the bell again and start put a lot of treats on the ground and around you. Then while eating you will ring the bell a couple of time so they hear the bell before, up to the feeding and then at the feeding.

3 At 4 pm you are going to duplicate doing the very same thing.

4. Continue for the next few day like or up to a week. Alway ring the bell at the gate, siting down and feeding

5 next reduce the amount of feed thrown around to closer to you always closer. Now less food so they feel they need to get it first. urgency

6. next place some of the foods on your ankle, knee and lap and start baiting them to you so they know the hand that is feeding them. trust

7. continue for a few days luring them close to you so you can begin to touch tails and the backs of the your kids. Your doing good now creating trust.

8 if they will let you start stroking each or the ones that will let you the ones that do not no pressure they will or will not come on there own.

9 Great job!! because the next time they are in the yard ring the bell for the first time and guess what they will come running to where ever you are​

Quote:
As far as rounding them up the post above me hit the nail right on the head. "Conditioning with FOOD" and there are step to do this.

1 find the foods they love best.

2 start the conditioning by doing the same thing lets say at 8am and 4pm each. At 8am you walk out to the birds and at the gate ring a bike bell. (mine is on the gate and I walk in or around with it) or whatever, a shake a can with rocks or penny's in it. Walk over and sit down chair or ground but remember we are doing the exact thing every day. ring the bell again and start put a lot of treats on the ground and around you. Then while eating you will ring the bell a couple of time so they hear the bell before, up to the feeding and then at the feeding.

3 At 4 pm you are going to duplicate doing the very same thing.

4. Continue for the next few day like or up to a week. Alway ring the bell at the gate, siting down and feeding

5 next reduce the amount of feed thrown around to closer to you always closer. Now less food so they feel they need to get it first. urgency

6. next place some of the foods on your ankle, knee and lap and start baiting them to you so they know the hand that is feeding them. trust

7. continue for a few days luring them close to you so you can begin to touch tails and the backs of the your kids. Your doing good now creating trust.

8 if they will let you start stroking each or the ones that will let you the ones that do not no pressure they will or will not come on there own.

9 Great job!! because the next time they are in the yard ring the bell for the first time and guess what they will come running to where ever you are

im gonna try this when i get my chicks... good info...

Back
Top Bottom