When can the new chicks join the flock?

kristen2678

Songster
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
North Berwick Maine
Need advice....I have two nearly 5 week old girls that I think are ready to move outside. They are pretty well feathered and the weather for the next week should be in the 70's and 80's. I'm planning on putting them in a cage in the yard so the other free rangers can check them out for a few days and at night moing the cage to the run for some extra security. I'll lock the big girls up in the coop at night as usual. The coop isn't big enough for the cage too. Sound like a plan? How long to do this before letting them go to the coop at night? There is still quite a size difference between the 5 weekers and one year olds...

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Kristen:) Keeping your younger chicks in a separate cage like you're doing is a wise idea. You are right, there is a notable size difference between the ages! I have eight nearly three month olds that I let out to roam the chicken yard while the four older hens and rooster are out free-ranging. Both flocks are able to see each other, yet the youngsters have the added security of the chickenwire fencing to keep them from any harm. So far, there have just been staring contests (and clucking behind wings to each other) but no attempts by the big girls to peck.

When your same question was burning in my mind a few weeks back, I found this page by one of our BYC members to be very imformative. I think you will too! https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock I am going to wait until the end of June when my RIR youngsters will be 16 weeks old--another month will give them just that much more time to grow, and then I will let them out to free-range with the older chickens.

I put the 4+ week old chicks in a bird netting cage in the chicken run and about a week and a half later, released the 6 week olds into the flock for a few hours a day, while I stood between them, and the older hens respected that and curbed their hostility. After 3 and a half days of brief interaction, I released them and watched nearby and they would chase and peck, but not really make contact, and in about 4 hours, they established an understanding, a relatively peaceful co-existence. No injuries, no big deal! I think 6 weeks is perfect.

But, I am bringing them into the garage box tonight to sleep. I am not sure how to transition their sleeping quarters yet....

I'm in the same boat. My two sweeties are about 7 weeks old and they have their own outdoor temporary area beside the older (1year old, 2 hens) girls. I have been bringing them together for a bit each morning but it's been stressful :( the older girls got really mean today to the smallest lavender Orpington and I had to break it up and put the big girls away for a moment. I felt so bad! I hate hearing the babies scream in terror as they are looked at by the big girls, let alone chased and feathers grabbed. There are lots of places to jump up and escape but they seem to just run themselves into a corner. They are sleeping at night in a crate in my shed. it's fine for now but a lot of work each day honestly! any advice? feeling discouraged today.

Last edited:
Until the chicks start laying they won't be fully integrated . My fall chicks didn't start laying until spring or roosting with the others (they're fully integrated now) but it'll be a couple more months before my spring chicks are fully integrated.They're still separated behind wire and roost in a new coop in the run

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom