1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

When can they go outside?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rapunzil, Jul 15, 2010.

1. rapunzil

rapunzil Songster 8 Years

Sep 17, 2009
    Kendall Park, NJ
    I have 2 ducklings that are about a month old. They are growing SO BIG, but they are all still just fuzz - no feathers. It has been consistantly warm here in the 80's and 90's so I'm wondering if I could put them in the pen yet...?

Thanx!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hi!

Do you mean keep them outside all the time, or just during the day?

If you want to move them outside all the time, what are the nighttime temperatures?

Is the area for them safe from predators? Remember hawks may take ducklings.

At a month old, they should be okay down to 75F or so. I find that getting them outdoors, there are so many other things to watch out for (is the fence tight enough, will their bedding stay dry, can a raccoon or cat get at them, is there a nail sticking out they will impale themselves on . . . .

Ducklings can get into the weirdest trouble instantly. That is something I have learned from these runners of mine.

Love 'em to pieces!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: