1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can they go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chantald, Apr 20, 2008.

1. chantald

chantald Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello
    Our first foray into chickens.. we picked up 6 Black Australops last week. They are now 2 weeks old, I suspect a few are older as they are much taller and have more feathers..

They have been living in our den in a guinea pig cage with a heat lamp. They are really running around their little pen..

Our coop arrived today, an Amish barn, 8x8. At what point can they go out into their coop, but not be outside to run free.. just in their coop.. with their heat lamp etc?

We live in NY, about 1/2 way between Albany and NYC. Nights here are around 40 degrees F at this point..

Thanks!!!

2. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    Mine are around the same age. I moved them to the coop yesterday. The coop has electricity so I have heat lamps inside. They did well. They are really happy in their new home.

3. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    I think as long as you don't have holes large enough for the chicks to escape and they can get warm enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by