When can we eat eggs?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Elayne, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Elayne

Elayne New Egg

Nov 30, 2009
    I am new. I was given these hens. When the growth feed (unknown brand in a plain white plastic bucket) was given to me with the hens. When it was done I was to start them on laying pellets. They hated the pellets and I changed it to the crumbles. Someone had bloody stool within 2 days of the change. The feed store guy told me to use Sulmet. I did, all was well for about 3 weeks, then I got my first egg [​IMG] on Wednesday! Saturday my Shepherd chased one of my hens up a tree, he did not try to grab her or make any contact with her, but 2 days later (this morning) I went into the coop and there was bloody stool again. Is it possible for bloody stool to be stress induced? All the hens seem fine. They eat, drink, and play in the yard. I am waiting to see what all of your ideas are before I do the Sulmet thing again. We are just dying to use the eggs. How long after do we need to wait to eat the eggs after treating with Sulmet? Is there anything out there that is safe for human consumption that does not take 6 weeks before you can use the eggs??? Thanks in advance for all your help.

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you get your answer..

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    If the hen has no injuries, I would still suspect cocci. Perhaps you should have a stool sample tested.

4. TheGoldenRoo

TheGoldenRoo A Crazy and Fun Chicken

Oct 15, 2009
    ND
    [​IMG]

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

6. DragonFeathers

DragonFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Maryland
    [​IMG] from Maryland

7. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    [​IMG] from New Zealand
    I hope your girls get better [​IMG] and you have definitely come to the right place for advice!

8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I'm wishing the best for you and your girls [​IMG] [​IMG] you'll find all the answers you need on the BYC [​IMG]

9. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC from The Pampered Pullets Farm in North Central Florida
    [​IMG]

10. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] from Alaska

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by