When Candling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], May 11, 2009.

1. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Should you quickly get one out at a time and keep the lid closed? And how long do you have to get the incubator back up to the proper temp

Thanks, Randy

2. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I am no expert as this is my first go at incubating. I have candled 3 times and I took the lid off and looked at each egg then lid back on. I was going on the principle that the hen leaves the nest each day for about 10 minutes so the time I took to candle would not do any harm. I find the temp goes back up quite quickly.
    Good luck and I hope the hatch goes well.

3. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Yup, I didn't hurry, either. Well, I did once and dropped a Cameo Peafowl egg and a Silver Laced Cochin egg.[​IMG]
    Don't rush.

4. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Thank you, my fingers are crossed [​IMG] I'm only on day2 but figured I start to prepare [​IMG] and get as much info as possible

5. jhart101

jhart101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    I don't really hurry too much but I do take one at a time and keep lid closed in between.

6. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    I incubate my eggs in egg carton bottoms. So when I candle I just take out one whole batch at a time, candle the whole batch, return this batch and get the next.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by